Author: Stan Eisenstat
Subject: Office hours start on Wednesday
Date: Tuesday, 01 Sep 2020, 21:47:36

The TA and the ULAs will begin holding office hours via Zoom on
Wednesday, September 2nd.  The schedule is always available at

  http://zoo.cs.yale.edu/classes/cs323/current/Hours

will be posted here shortly and at least once a week thereafter.

The "whiteboard" queue that determines the order in which students
are seen is the Google Document at

  https://tinyurl.com/Yale-CPSC-323

The instructions for signing up are appended.

I also hold office hours, nearly every day.  To make an appointment
to meet with me via Zoom, visit the web site

  https://sce.cs.yale.edu

Slots are released a few days in advance and more slots are added

--Stan-

---CUT-HERE---

USING THE VIRTUAL WHITEBOARD DURING OFFICE HOURS

Overview:  To join the queue for remote ULA/TA office hours for CPSC 323,
add your name and Zoom meeting ID to this Google Document:

  https://tinyurl.com/Yale-CPSC-323

(you must be signed into your Yale account to access and edit the
document).  When you reach the top of the queue, a ULA will join the Zoom
meeting room that you are hosting for a one-on-one help session (5-15
minutes).

NOTE:  You cannot add yourself to the queue outside of scheduled office
hours.  The first ULA to come online for the night will delete all
entries in the table.  This is to prevent ultra-long queues forming
before office hours begin.  ULAs will add their name and shift to the
remote queue Google Doc to indicate they are online and office hours have
started.

Detailed instructions for joining the queue (also available on the
remote queue Google Document):

 1. To join the queue, add your name and Zoom link or meeting room ID
    to the next available row in the table on the remote queue Google
    Doc. You can append more rows to the bottom of the table if it is
    full.

 1. You should use your Yale Zoom account to ensure that your meeting
    does not expire before you get help. Instructions on creating a
    Yale Zoom account and logging in can be found here.

 2. Once you are logged in, create a meeting and paste the link or
    meeting room ID into the 2nd column of the table. This meeting room
    can be your M-bpersonal roomM-b or an alternate Zoom meeting created
    for the purpose of office hours.

 3. Links to relevant Zoom how-to resources can be found in the version
    of these instructions on the remote queue Google Doc.

Launch the meeting whose ID or URL you provided in the table and wait
for your turn.

 1. Please join from a quiet location if possible. We recommend using
    headphones or earbuds for better sound quality.

 2. We expect you to stay online in the meeting room while you wait for
    help. If you need to leave for the night, please remove your name
    from the queue. If you need to step away from your computer
    temporarily, please make a note next to your name (and remove it
    when you come back) so that we know to skip over you.

When you reach the top of the queue, a ULA will join your Zoom meeting
and offer one-on-one help.

 1. You should always launch the Zoom meeting from your computer to
    enable screen-sharing of code and terminal outputs.

 2. When a ULA is ready to join your meeting room, they will write
    their name in the 3rd column to communicate that you are being
    helped. When your help session is over, they will delete your row
    from the top of the table.