Author: Stan Eisenstat
Subject: Re: [Cs323] Follow Up - Local vs Text
Date: Thursday, 01 Oct 2020, 14:06:14

    > Message Posted By: Anonymous
    >
    > Thank you for that snippet from the specification.
    >
    > My understanding of that, however, was that since it cannot be interpreted
    > as a valid local, it should then resort to being interpreted as a general
    > text token.

No, it is a valid [local] since it precedes the initial
argument.  Thus it is interpreted as such, even though
doing so makes the command invalid.

See also the related post

  Date: 28 Sep 2020 08:34:11 -0400 (Mon)
  Subject: Re: [Cs323] local by itself

      > Message Posted By: Unknown
      >
      > Why isn't the command 'a=b' valid? ...

  Because a=b is a TEXT token of the form NAME=VALUE and
  thus is treated as a [local], and as a result there are
  no arguments, which parsley flags as an error (unlike
  bash).

--Stan-