Author: Stan Eisenstat
Subject: Re: [Cs323] Hamming Code follow-up
Date: Tuesday, 06 Oct 2020, 20:58:59

    > Message Posted By: Unknown
    >
    > If the overall parity bit is good, then what are the two cases. Either
    > nothing is bad (syndrome is zero) or what happens in the other case?
    >
    > I know for array parity it signals a double bit error - does it do the
    > same with hamming?

If the overall parity of the data and parity bits is
odd, then there must be either 0 or 2 bad bits.

If the syndrome is zero, then there cannot be any bad
bits among the data bits and the parity bits other than
p0; but then there cannot be two bad bits so tthat all
bits must be correct.

If the syndrome is nonzero, then there must be at least
one bad bit among the data bits and the parity bits
other than p0; but then there must be two bad bits.

--Stan-