Author: Stan Eisenstat
Subject: Review session for the midterm
Date: Wednesday, 07 Oct 2020, 11:48:21

The midterm will take place on Monday, October 12th.

The 75-minute exam will be open-notes, open-textbooks (i.e., Hennessey
and Patterson or Matthew and Stones), and open-computer/phone.  However,
during the up to 75-minute period that you work on the exam you may not
consult any other materials or on-line sources (e.g., StackOverflow) or
communicate with any other person (e.g., a suitemate).

The topics covered on will be:
* number representation and machine arithmetic
* data compression
* error detection and correction
* machine architecture, including caches, RAID, and the memory hierarchy

There is a sample exam at
  https://zoo.cs.yale.edu/classes/cs323/current/sample-m
(there is also a link on the class web page).

I will hold a review session 2:00pm - 3:30pm on Friday, October 9th,
during which I will go over the solutions to the sample exam and answer
questions about the material listed above.  I will record the session
and upload it to Canvas.  The URL for the review session is
  https://yale.zoom.us/j/96027006478
(there is also a link from the class Zoom page on Canvas).

In addition I will have open Zoom meetings during the weekend (times and
URL to be announced later in the week) at which you can ask additional
questions.

Only 2/3 of you took the practice exam on Tuesday.  If you did not do
so, you can still run /c/cs323/bin/get.exam to get a copy of the exam
and follow the instructions for submtting it.  Doing so is voluntary,
but if you do not take it and you encounter problems during the real
exam, you will not get much sympathy.

--Stan-