Author: Stan Eisenstat
Subject: CPSC 323 review session and extra office hours
Date: Thursday, 08 Oct 2020, 20:15:37

The CPSC 323 midterm will take place on Monday, October 12th.

The topics covered are:
* number representation and machine arithmetic
* data compression
* error detection and correction
* machine architecture, including caches, RAID, and the memory hierarchy

There is a sample exam at the URL
  https://zoo.cs.yale.edu/classes/cs323/current/sample-m
(there is also a link on the class web page).

I will host a review session 2:00-3:30pm on Friday, October 9th, during which I
will present solutions to the sample exam and answer questions about the topics
listed above.  I will record the session and make it available through Canvas.
The URL is
  https://yale.zoom.us/j/96027006478
(there is also a link on the Zoom tab of the Canvas page for CPSC 323).

I will host an open meeting from 2pm to 4pm on Saturday, October 10th, during
which I will answer questions about the topics listed above.  This session will
NOT be recorded.  If there is sufficient turnout, I will host another one on
Sunday at a time to be announced.  The URL is
  https://yale.zoom.us/j/97617765788
(there is also a link on the Zoom tab of the Canvas page for CPSC 323).

The 75-minute exam will be given asynchronously between 10am and 3pm New Haven
time.  You will use the get.exam command to get a copy of the exam and at most
90 minutes later use the submit command to turn in your work.  I will send you
a reminder with the detailed instructions on Sunday.

Since the exam is asynchronous, you will not be able to ask questions as you
take the exam.

--Stan-