Author: Unknown
Subject: hamming code example
Date: Saturday, 10 Oct 2020, 23:10:48

In the lecture, when we went through an example of a bit flip in hamming code, you had change the parity bits p1-p4 based on the bit at index 7 being flipped. However, shouldn't this only affect the syndrome and not the parity bits?

For example, how would the parity bits actually determine if the 7th index bit was flipped?

Doesn't the bit get flipped during transmission? (considering it was a data bit; I would think that only the single bit at index 7 in the input file was wrong, similar to the LZW question on the practice midterm).