Author: Stan Eisenstat
Subject: Re: [Cs323] 9*SIZE when input is one letter
Date: Thursday, 05 Nov 2020, 07:19:31

    > Message Posted By: Unknown
    >
    > Am I correct in the following calculation: when only sending one letter,
    > the table only needs 256 entries, so it only needs 8 bits to send the
    > code. ...

That depends on whether you have assigned any special
codes (e.g., to signal a change in NBITS or pruning).
=====

    >   ... Then the memory limit for this case is 9*256 = 2304? However,
    > /Tests/maxStack says I already use more than 4000 bytes, and maxHeap says
    > I am using 2048 bytes. Am I calculating something incorrectly? Seems like
    > maxHeap on the solution script also uses more than 4000 bytes.

Tests/maxStack is neither accurate nor deterministic,
and the test scripts include a fudge factor to account
for these defects.

Hwk4/encode uses special codes and thus sends 9 bits
for the first code.

--Stan-