Author: Stan Eisenstat
Subject: Re: [Cs223] West Coast Due Date
Date: Monday, 06 Apr 2020, 11:31:04

    > Message Posted By: Unknown
    >
    > I understand, but if west coasters worked past 2 AM EST, they would incur
    > an extra late penalty. I apologize for bringing this up again, but my
    > concern is:
    >
    > If a west coaster and east coaster both wake up at 9 AM in their
    > respective time zones:

Then the west coaster will have missed the live meetings
of all of his morning classes.
=====

    > The east coaster has until 2 AM (17 hours) to turn it in without incurring
    > an extra late day.
    >
    > On the other hand, the west coaster has until 11PM (14 hours) to turn it
    > in before incurring another late day. If the west coaster takes the same
    > 16 hours as the east coaster, then they will incur one more late day than
    > the east coaster despite working the same amount of time. ...

No.  I release the assignment to everyone at the same
time.  If it is due at the same time (aka 2:00am EDT),
then everyone has the same amount of time to work on it,
irrespective of their time zone and sleep habits.   How
can anything else be fair?
=====

    > I understand that the spec was released at the same time for everyone, but
    > a 3 hour change in time zone effectively makes it so that west coasters'
    > days start 3 hours later than east coasters' days.

And what about students in other time zones?

   7 0000     14 0900     73 1200     2 1700      1 2300
   4 0100      3 1000      1 1300     1 1900
   1 0400     13 1100      5 1600     2 2130

--Stan-