Author: Stan Eisenstat
Subject: Re: [Cs223] Path from initial to goal is unique?
Date: Tuesday, 14 Apr 2020, 19:26:35

    > Message Posted By: Unknown
    >
    > Is it possible for there to be multiple shortest paths from initial to
    > goal?  (different intermediate steps, but same # of steps taken to get
    > there) I'm assuming so, since the order in which the new positions are
    > processed depends on the order in which they're computed.

Yes, for all but the simplest instances there will be
multiple shortest paths, each with the same number of
moves.  That is why most of the tests use "wc -l" to
count the number of moves rather than display them.  The
alternative is a "verify" program that checks that a
sequence of moves is valid.

--Stan-