Author: Unknown
Subject: Purpose of Ordering
Date: Thursday, 16 Apr 2020, 20:03:14

I'm a bit confused as to the purpose of keeping the chaining ordered. I've currently implemented my Hashtable such that if a new entry hashes to the same value, the array corresponding to that hashed-value is given a larger size and the entries are copied over (no strcmp()s are called to order the entries).

I don't understand why keeping the array ordered matters because when I perform a search, I am simply performing a linear search on the entries with that particular hash value. It doesn't seem like keeping it ordered would save any time.