Author: Stan Eisenstat
Subject: Re: [Cs323] -name wildcard
Date: Thursday, 17 Sep 2020, 10:54:32

    > Message Posted By: Unknown
    >
    > In one of your posts about wildcard characters, you mentioned:
    > =====
    > And for
    >
    >     % ./fiend . -name X*
    >
    >   it replaces X* by a list of all such files whose names
    >   begin with X.  But if there are no such files, then the
    >   command is equivalent to
    >
    >     % ./fiend . -name
    >
    >   which should result in an error message.
    > =====

As I later posted, under bash the second command would
have been equivalent to

  % ./fiend . -name 'X*'

so that X* is passed to fiend as an argument.
=====

    > However, when I run /c/cs323/Hwk1/fiend . -name X* in a directory with no
    > files beginning with X, it simply has no output. Is this the correct
    > behavior, or should there be a "missing argument to name" type of error?

Yes.  Since there is an argument following -newer, there
should not be an error message about a missing argument,
and since there is no file whose name begins with X, there
is no match during the traversal.

--Stan-