Author: Unknown
Subject: Hint.
Date: Tuesday, 03 Nov 2020, 18:49:52

Hi,

I'm still a bit confused about this hint.

  1) If you allocate one array for all of the nodes in the hash table other than the heads of the chains, how many bytes do you need to specify a node?

Say I do have a single array for all the nodes in the hash table as is being suggested, and I associated the head nodes with specific points in the array so I could go through all the nodes in a bucket by jumping to a certain node in the array, it seems to me that this could be problematic later on.

Say a specific chain was long enough that its last node was right before the first node of another chain, then I would have to shift every node after by one position in order to insert my new node in the chain, and this seems inefficient.

Is this actually what the hint is implying? If not, could you please explain a bit more?