Author: Stan Eisenstat
Subject: Re: [Cs323] error checking
Date: Friday, 06 Nov 2020, 15:01:00

    > Message Posted By: Unknown
    >
    > What does a "gremlin" mean? ...

The "gremlin" is a close relative of the one that
introduces errors in the error detection/correction
pipeline.  Its purpose is to encourage you to make your
code more robust and not give valgrind errors when its
assumptions are violated.
=====

    >                        ...  Would that just jumble the output received
    > from encode before making it an input to decode? ...

That is one possibility.
=====

    >                                             ...  Or will it mean that we
    > also have to do some error detection to see if we receive codes that we
    > wouldn't expect (i.e. EMPTY Char)

Yes, which is not inconsistent with jumbling.

--Stan-