Author: Stan Eisenstat
Subject: Reading assignments
Date: Sunday, 08 Nov 2020, 20:45:20

								    Fall 2020

Reading Assignments for CPSC 323a
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note:  The on-line version of Matthew and Stones is not paginated.  For those
using it, I have annotated each reading with the chapter and section(s) (and
in some cases subsection(s)) in which those pages are contained.

Thus to reach the reading, click on the title of the chapter in the list of
links, which inserts a list of sections immediately under the title.  If no
subsection is specified below, read the entire page.  Otherwise just scroll
down to the subsection and read to the end of it.

Date   Reading (Topic)
~~~~   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
11/02  MS, pp. 109-120 Standard I/O Library
	   [Chapter 3, The Standard I/O Library]
	   [Chapter 3, Formatted Input and Output]
       MS, pp.  96-108 Systems-level I/O
	   [Chapter 3, System Calls and Device Drivers]
	   [Chapter 3, Library Functions]
	   [Chapter 3, Low-Level File Access]

11/04  MS, pp. 461-464 Processes
	   [Chapter 11, What Is a Process]
	   [Chapter 11, Process Structure: Introduction]
	   [Chapter 11, Process Structure: The Process Table]
	   [Chapter 11, Process Structure: Viewing Processes]
       MS, pp. 468-480 exec() and fork()
	   [Chapter 11, Starting New Processes]
       MS, pp. 481-484 signals
	   [Chapter 11, Signals: Introduction]
       MS, pp. 531-540 pipes and dup()
	   [Chapter 13, The Pipe Call]
	   [Chapter 13, Parent and Child Processes]
       Example of pipes (handout & available on class web site)

11/09  MS, pp.  23- 30 bash (variables and quoting)
	   [Chapter 2, The Shell as a Programming Language]
	   [Chapter 2, Shell Syntax: Variables]
       MS, pp.  43- 45 bash (&& and ||)
	   [Chapter 2, Shell Syntax: The AND List]
	   [Chapter 2, Shell Syntax: The OR List]
       MS, pp.  73- 74 bash (here documents)
	   [Chapter 2, Shell Syntax: Here Documents]
       MS, pp. 144-148 Environment variables in C
	   [Chapter 4, Environment Variables]
       MS, pp. 156-157 Temporary files
	   [Chapter 4, Temporary Files]

11/11  HP6 Chapter  1: pp.  11- 17 Overview of ISA
       HP6 Appendix A: pp.   1- 20 Instruction Set Architecture
       HP6 Appendix C: pp.   2- 30 Pipelining instructions & hazards

11/16  HP6 Chapter  3: pp. 168-176 Pipelining instructions & hazards
       HP6 Chapter  3: pp. 182-188 Branch prediction

Texts
~~~~~
HP6: John L. Hennessy and David A. Patterson, "Computer Architecture: A
       Quantitative Approach", 6th edition, Morgan Kaufman, 2017

MS:  Neil Matthew and Richard Stones, "Beginning Linux Programming",
      4th edition, Wrox, 2007

Last modified 10/25/20