Author: Stan Eisenstat
Subject: Re: [Cs323] Total bytes and NCHAINS
Date: Thursday, 12 Nov 2020, 22:32:29

    > Message Posted By: Unknown
    >
    > Consider:
    >
    >     for(int i = 0; i < n; i++){
    >         do something
    >     }
    >
    > Would the 4 bytes of `i' take up part of our total 9*2^NBITS allowed?

Yes, but the upper bound on storage includes 16384 bytes
for the stack, where the 'i' is stored.
=====

    > Also is it fine if our NCHAINS = (2^NBITS-4)-1 or (2^NBITS-5)-1? In other
    > words, is the (2^NBITS-3)-1 a suggestion or strict guideline? I am not
    > sure how to quantify "keep the load average low".

Halving the number of chains doubles the load average
and thus the average search time, which is likely to be
the largest component of the total run time.  The latter
is limited, and your encode must run fast enough to
achieve the limit.

--Stan-