Author: Stan Eisenstat
Subject: Re: [Cs323] Grades
Date: Thursday, 12 Nov 2020, 22:37:38

    > Message Posted By: Unknown
    >
    > What is the curve in the class typically? Also, what is the minimum raw
    > score typically required to pass?

As I posted earlier:

  Date: 29 Sep 2020 21:52:31 -0400 (Tue)
  Subject: Comments on the grading of fiend

  From a purely mathematical perspective the grades on the ideal homework
  assignment or exam should range from a low of 0% to a high of 100% with a
  median of 50%.  This gives the most information about how well each student
  performed.  It is also unacceptable psychologically!

  Thus my goal is a more modest 60% to 100% range with a median of 80%, which
  seems acceptable on both counts.  As you will see below, I almost succeeded
  with the final script for fiend.

  But I also want to give final grades that are more or less consistent with
  Yale norms.  Thus I have the following rules for letter grades:

  1) To give at least 45% A's and A-'s, the lower limit on the A/A- range will
     be low enough that at least 45% of the class lies above it.  There are
     similar rules for the other grade ranges.

  2) To honor the expectation that a student whose total grade is at least 90%
     should receive an A or A-.  Thus the lower limit on the A/A- range will be
     at most 90% (even if this means giving more than 45% A's and A-'s).  There
     are similar rules for the other grade ranges.

  3) The PASS/FAIL line is around 55%, after all lateness penalties are
     ignored.

--Stan-