Author: Stan Eisenstat
Subject: Reading assignments for the coming weeks
Date: Monday, 31 Aug 2020, 19:38:31

Reading Assignments for CPSC 323a
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note:  The on-line version of Matthew and Stones is not paginated.  For those
using it, I have annotated each reading with the chapter and section(s) (and
in some cases subsection(s)) in which those pages are contained.

Thus to reach the reading, click on the title of the chapter in the list of
links, which inserts a list of sections immediately under the title.  If no
subsection is specified below, read the entire page.  Otherwise just scroll
down to the subsection and read to the end of it.

Date   Reading (Topic)
~~~~   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
08/31  HP6 Appendix J, pp.   2-  3 Ripple-carry adders
       HP6 Appendix J, pp.   7-  8 Signed numbers
       HP6 Appendix J: pp.  37- 41 Carry-lookahead adders
       MS, pp. 377-392 make
	   [Chapter 9, Problems of Multiple Source Files]
	   [Chapter 9, The make Command and Makefiles]

09/02  MS, pp.  94- 96 Linux file structure
	   [Chapter 3, Linux File Structure]
       MS, pp. 106-108 stat() & lstat()
	   [Chapter 3, Low-Level File Access: Other System Calls ...]
       MS, pp. 109-120 Standard I/O Library
	   [Chapter 3, The Standard I/O Library]
	   [Chapter 3, Formatted Input and Output]
       MS, pp. 120-122 File & directory maintenance
	   [Chapter 3, File and Directory Maintenance]
       MS, pp. 122-126 Scanning directories
	   [Chapter 3, Scanning Directories]
       MS, pp. 127-128 Errors
	   [Chapter 3, Errors]
       MS, pp. 392-406 Revision control systems [optional]
	   [Chapter 9, Source Code Control]
       MS, pp. 430-445 Debugging and gdb [optional]
	   [Chapter 10, General Debugging Techniques]
	   [Chapter 10, Debugging with gdb]

09/07  HP6 Appendix J: pp.  13- 16 Floats
       HP6 Appendix J: pp.  62- 65 Pitfalls & history

09/16  Welch's paper (links below and on the class web site)
	 In color from IEEE (only within the yale.edu domain):
	   http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=1659158
	 In black and white from Duke:
	   http://www.cs.duke.edu/courses/spring03/cps296.5/papers/welch_1984_technique_for.pdf

09/21  LZW handout (handout & available on class web site)

http://zoo.cs.yale.edu/classes/cs323/current/reading