Author: Stan Eisenstat
Subject: Overflow (Delta / Comair)
Date: Monday, 31 Aug 2020, 19:39:19

Comair/Delta airline debacle caused by the overflow of 16-bit pointer
  By Clint Ecker | Published: December 30, 2004 - 01:24PM CT

Twelve inches of snow and ice, road closures, and a pesky overflow
bug contributed to one of the worst holiday airline messes in recent
years.  I was stuck in the Cincinnati airport for a while and at the
time, most people there attributed the problems to the snow and poor
planning on the part of Delta/Comair.  It's doubtful that many
people (except the nerdy guy I saw wearing a Firefox t-shirt) were
considering the possibility that a software malfunction may have
ultimately triggered the final meltdown.

--Stan-